Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Great Escape...attempt.

It’s been 1 week since the worms arrived. They are still climbing the sides of the bin. This morning when I checked the population numbers on the wall were up.
 
They are obviously eating something. They have grown considerably since their arrival. Why are they crawling and clumping on the side of the bin? There must still be a problem with the bin…
I had a few theories. The bin is too cold and it may be warmer towards the top. The existing food and bedding is not homogenous enough. The existing food is not diverse enough.
Of these theories the warmth one has been debunked. I dug to the bottom and it’s quite a comfortable temperature there and worms are found there. As for the other theories I don’t know really how to test them. I have mixed the bin up to distribute/homogenize everything. The only food I’ve added since adding the compost has been a piece of tomato. Keep in mind they loved the compost I fed them, this was a diverse food source for sure. The tomato was just for fun to see how long it would take for them to get to it in my new bin.
For now I’m feeling like the worms and I are competing with one another. Not my preference of roles but I’m determined to be more persistent then the worms. As long as they aren’t dying, I’ll eventually provide them with a comfortable home that they can flourish in. Until then it’s eat what you have or go hungry.  Below you can see a cluster of baby worms already!


1 comment: