Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Smoothies

Do you have a hard time eating your vegetables?  Do you get so busy that some days you can't remember anything that you ate with your health in mind? 

Make yourself a smoothie.  Now I'm not talking about the smoothies that you buy at most locations.  I am talking about a fruit and veggie packed healthy explosion added to your diet.  S loves smoothies and juices, and has always been the driving force behind us drinking them and I have to admit the benefits they provide far outweigh the occasional "green" flavor he creates.  (Or earthy, as he calls it.)

Todays smoothie was spinach, banana, grapes, blueberries, and peaches.  The day is hardly begun and I already have beta-carotene, lutein, lipoic acid, vitamin C, potassium, tryptophan, pectin, and so many other great things in my body working hard for me.  And everything in that smoothie is good for me, there were no sugars added to counteract the benefits. Now I know that there is a lot of sugars in fruit.  But I believe that there is a huge difference between those naturally occurring sugars, and the sugars that are artificially added to foods.   But that's a topic for another day. There were no pre-processed powders with mystery ingredients, everything was designed specifically for my body to consume, and my body has had ages of practice breaking these foods down into the most useful components possible.

Now as I mentioned before, depending on your mixing choices you may have a more "green" tasting smoothie some days.  If you care a whole lot you can add fruit.  Or you can just focus on drinking it as fast as possible (my personal choice.)  But if my 11 month old daughter can drink her smoothie - I feel confident that you can do it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment